DESIGN FIND - In April of 1971, Glenn Richardson (1930-2018) began work at Haeger Potteries in what was their 100th year in business. He worked at first with long time designer Eric Olsen who was planning to retire within the year, and eventually became the chief designer for Haeger Potteries and Royal Haeger Lamp Company. He would hold that position for 22 years.
“The Haeger Sculpture Collection understands the art of expression …..each sculpture is a statement of style that will perfectly accent a room’s personality” ….The Royal Haeger Catalogue
The company started as a Dundee, Illinois brickyard along the Fox River in 1852, using clay from the riverbank. David H. Haeger, a German immigrant, became part owner of the Dundee Brickyard in 1871. Within a year Haeger was sole owner and had extended the business to include tiles. After the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, Haegar shipped bricks into the city to help rebuild Chicago. By the 1920s the brickyard's production included teaware, luncheonware, crystal and glassware. At the Century of Progress Exposition in 1934 in Chicago, Haeger Potteries' exhibit included a working ceramic factory where souvenir pottery was made.
In 1934, Royal Arden Hickman (1893-1969) joined the firm to design a line of artware sold under the brand name "Royal Haeger". Hickman was the chief designer from 1938-1944. Items produced during Hickman's tenure are marked "Royal Haeger by Royal Hickman U.S.A. R-###". During the 1950s, Hickman, no longer employed by Haeger Potteries, contributed designs to the company as a freelancer.
Haeger pieces have become collectible in recent years. The original Haeger Potteries Plant is found in the Dundee Township Historic District. Haeger also had a plant in Macomb, Illinois.
Alexandra Haeger Estes, great granddaughter of founder David Haeger, became president of the company in 1979. She announced on April 6, 2016 Haeger Potteries anticipated ceasing operations in May 2016, after 145 years in business. REF: Wikipedia
PRESS RELEASE (2016)
After more than 100 years in business, Haeger Potteries will cease its manufacturing operations in East Dundee, Illinois. We anticipate ending our operations on or about the end of May 2016. According to Alexandra Haeger Estes, President of Haeger Potteries, "in this, our 145th Anniversary year, this is the most difficult decision we have faced. The ongoing recession has reduced our customer base and foreign competition has decimated our artware and decorative accessory business. Gift shops and independent furniture stores are almost non-existent, and the larger stores that have survived are purchasing goods from abroad. The reality is that we are finding it more and more difficult to compete in a market with significant wage pressure, increased regulation and generally rising costs." Haeger Potteries has operated as a family-owned American business, for 4 generations, since its founding in 1871 and has been proud to have been a part of East Dundee for 145 years. "Haeger has an enormous connection to this community and is grateful for its ongoing support. We want to thank our wonderful and dedicated employees, our customers and suppliers for supporting our business over these many years."
Alexandra Haeger Estes
REF: Heager Potteries
Black rectangular base: 17 ¾” Long, 9 ½” wide, by 2 ¼” high, Felt on the entire bottom.
Sculpture: 20” High transformed into a massive table lamp
Made in USA
Designed by Glenn Richardson for Royal Haeger c. 1980’s
Lampshade Brand: Morlee with original label on the inside of the shade. The shade is described as Tall Cut Corner Rectangle – Manufactured in the USA – Shade fabric is Bradley Linen – Color of fabric is Bradley Tan. Measurements of shade: 16 ½’ Tall, 9” x 11” at top, and 18” x 13 ½” at bottom. Entire height of lamp including base and shade is 38 ¼” Tall.
Condition: Beautiful vintage condition with signs of light use. Recommend re-wiring as the existing wiring is original and there is a short in the switch.
Price includes shipping within the Continental US.
Shade will be shipped separately.