“Fritte” fused glass series tray designed by Aldo Londi for Bitossi in the early 1960’s.
Four other examples of this design are included in a 125 page 2007 exhibition catalogue for the International Ceramics Festival of Montelupo Fiorentino titled: Buongiorno maestro! : Aldo Londi, ceramista, scultore, pittore, maestro (1929-2003) (Translated: Hello master! : Aldo Londi, ceramist, sculptor, painter, master (1929-2003)
A descendant from a long, long line of Tuscan ceramic manufacturers, Guido Bitossi established his own ceramic craft works near Florence, in Montelupo, in 1921. Originally named Manifattura Ceramica Cav. Guido Bitossi & Figli (Ceramaic Manufactory Guido Bitossi & Sons), the company name was later shortened to Bitossi Ceramiche.
After World War II, master ceramist Aldo Londi (1911-2003) became the creative director of Bitossi Ceramiche, a position he held for more than fifty years. Londi—who was also from Montelupo—began apprenticing in ceramics at the age of eleven and brought to Bitossi a deep expertise in traditional ceramics production.
Now considered to be an institution in Italian ceramics, the Bitossi family and Vittoriano Bitossi Foundation have amassed an archive of over 7,000 historical documents and materials in relation to their ceramic production. The collection is housed in the Bitossi Artistic Industrial Museum, which in 2011 became a member of the Italian Association of Enterprise Archives and Museums. In 2014, Bitossi Ceramiche became an official member of the Registry of Italian Historical Companies, appointed by the National Union of Chambers of Commerce.
Master ceramist Aldo Londi (1911-2003) spent the most of his long and successful career creating exceptional work for Italian ceramics manufactory Bitossi Ceramiche.
Measures 5” x 7” x 1.25”
Marked: 4742.B Italy